Thursday, March 13, 2008

Serenity and Rest

Yesterday was a trying day. Isn't it wonderful how God provides for us even before we figure out what we need?! Where am I going with this? I will tell you. First off, I meet with a group of extraordinary women every Wednesday morning at 6:15 am (Yes, AM!)., in the library of our church. We share, we give, we listen, and we are present to each other in a way that only God can weave together. Now, when I went yesterday morning, I was reminded of the Serenity prayer. You know the one.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Very powerful words, and very useful to me yesterday afternoon. I didn't realize when the prayer was mentioned early that day, that I would so need those words just a few hours later. God knew. This prayer, uttered through a tide of tears, was a comforting shawl around my sagging shoulders. The other provision that was set up for me was that my wubby was home for the day. He was preparing for a four day trip that started today, and he was taking an extra day spur of the moment sort of. I didn't know I would need him there. God knew.

I was at the computer, much like now, when the phone rang. I glanced at the number, and answered it. It was our case worker from our adoption agency, All God's Children International.
The voice on the other end of the phone was not a joyful voice. (She happens to have a very joyful voice!) I knew something was not good. She started to give me the news I was dreading. Our file had been previewed and another document was being requested. This is our second preview, so it hurt twice as much. She went on to say that it would be 1-2 weeks to get the document, and then we would be resubmitted to the PGN(Guatemala board of advisers who approve adoptions). To make matters worse, when your file gets kicked out of PGN, you go back in and start the process all over. You do not start from where you left off.

The sadness of the news crept across me and settled in my soul. I was exhausted from the emotional turmoil, and from physically sobbing and drenching my pillow as well as my husbands shoulder. He was there for me because my Lord knew he would need to be. The Serenity Prayer raced through my mind over and over. Each time I prayed those words, I could feel myself becoming more and more accepting of God's plan.

I also relied on the words of a very special verse in God's word. Matthew 11:28. "Come to me all who are weary, and I will give you rest." WOW! Could I ever use the rest! God had once more provided me with strength for the journey...and even rest for the tiredness that sought to overcome me.

I love our Lord. He is good, all the time.

The story does not end there. Today we received another call from AGCI. The attorney for our agency had the needed document and we were resubmitted to PGN ! What would have taken a couple of weeks, was done in a day! Isn't that just like God! He wants us to seek Him in all things, and He wants to show us His power!

No comments: