Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A time for change.

Change is the one thing we can always count on. Not all change is welcome, yet it comes just the same. Some change IS welcome. I am not so sure how I feel about our recent change. We dropped off our dear son at college on Saturday...to fend for himself in the wide-wide world of being a Freshman. He will navigate the dorm and the gym and the food courts. He will find his classes and probably miss a meal or two. He will work late doing his homework(or he better:-)), and I hope he will miss me just a fraction of how much I miss him.
I must have looked pretty pitiful at church on Sunday, knowing he was far-far away...OK he is less than a two-hour drive from me...anyway, back to my soulful expression. I walked down the aisle to receive Holy Communion, and back to my pew to kneel and pray. As I was exiting the church, I was stopped by our priest, Father Phil. He held my hand and guided me to the side as he asked what was making me so sad!! He knew from the look on my face at communion that I wasn't my usual "smiley" self (as he put it). As I explained that we had just left Matt at school, he smiled a knowing smile, and said,"Robin, you are always being the mother, aren't you?" My tears immediately filled my eyes.
Today , with the help of my two devotionals, I reflected on the ability to be completely joyful and at the same time completely sorrowful. I think I have a good example of this circumstance!!

2 comments:

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Oh Robin, someday I will follow in your footsteps. I know how your heart must be sad and yet joyful at the same time! Change is so very hard isn't it! Praying for you son in college and for your mommy heart to smile!
Smiles,
jen in mi

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Hey Robin, little kitten is no more :-(
He just couldn't get over his poo poo problem, or at least I could not put more money into him. We were at over $100. So the Humane Society kindly took him even tho they were full. We just look at it as we kept him safe and fattened him up for 3 weeks so the next family could just love on him!
Smiles,
jen